Most Popular Topics

Search The Real Todd Manning

Saturday, September 25, 2010

GUEST BLOGGER - On "The Real Todd Manning" - by Precious Things

Here are my thoughts...

I look at things in a lot of different ways, but in my opinion RH is Todd, and this is why...

Now first I would like to say that I do think TSJ is a good actor...I don't want him to leave the show, and though I would like to see him become a different character when the Imposter Storyline (i'm hoping for this one) takes place (tsj's character would not lose his history of the past 7 years)...I also understand and respect that not everyone feels the same as I do.

Anyway, I think TSJ is a good actor and I think he is a big asset to OLTL. In no way am I trying to discredit him as an actor in what I'm about to say, so please don't take it the wrong way...

As an actor taking over a role that he did not originate, it's true that he shouldn't want to mimic or try to mimic the previous actor in any way because it won't feel or seem quite right, so in some ways I can understand why he didn't want to study up on RH's Todd videos...BUT...he should be able to study the character without trying to mimic RH...the reason I say this is because...while he IS a good actor and while he is doing a very nice job of playing this version of Todd, he's not playing the real Todd...

Todd was much deeper...he was very much damaged by his past (both with Marty and his childhood)...he was a tortured character who loved his family and was great with kids, and though he wanted love...he wasn't sure how or really able to truely accept it.

If you haven't seen RH as Todd in a long time or if you never have I would suggest going to the video site we all visit and look up some videos...if Todd had not been such a strong, integral character and part of the show then it might not matter as much, but the issue a lot of RH as Todd fans have is that TSJ...while he is a good actor and while it is important to make a character your own and all of that...there's one thing he didn't do...he didn't stay true to the character.

Precious Things posts regularly to her blog at Soap Opera Central. She is a screenplay writer and actress currently residing in Missouri, USA.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you are right.
    He was a phenom, and that's hard to redo. I think it's the show's fault though, no one else's. It's like giving Snoopy the job of Wolverine. I just don't think TSJ was really up to the task, but also, the show should have never recast.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to keep the posts positive, it is all in fun! A good hint is to use the @symbol when directing a comment at a specific person who posted prior to you, if you choose.